The Ugandan Air Force attacked and destroyed a big camp of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni announced Sunday.
He noted that it was important for them to know the capacity Africa which possesses that can help it address chronic security challenges.
“The enemy, in desperation, has now fled beyond the boundary of our operations. The ignorant terrorists do not know that within just minutes — not hours — we can reach (them) with deadly fire, many areas, far beyond the line of the limit of exploitation,” said Museveni.
“Hence, on Friday, they got their deserved reward. Wherever they go, we shall reach them, as long as the Congo government allows us to operate with them,” he said, congratulating Ugandan and Congolese troops.
The attack was conducted with the authorization of the Congolese government.
The Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda launched joint military operations to flush out the ADF in the east of DR Congo in late 2021.
But the operations have been criticized for doing little to improve the security situation, prompting calls by civil society groups to end them.
In the latest attack attributed to ADF rebels, two people were wounded by gunfire Sunday during an ambush that targeted a civilian vehicle on the Mbau-Kamango road in Beni territory, North Kivu, the Congolese military said.
The ADF have been attacking and killing civilians in eastern DR Congo for over two decades. The group killed more than 1,300 civilians last year, according to the UN.
The joint operations in North Kivu and Ituri provinces were launched following a triple suicide bombing in Uganda’s capital city Kampala in which seven people were killed and dozens injured.
The ADF pledged allegiance to Islamic State in 2019.
Last year, the US placed the ADF on its list of “terrorist organizations” affiliated with ISIS.